[kepler-dev] Problems for closing unchanged workflows

Zhijie Guan guan at sdsc.edu
Tue Apr 11 16:03:42 PDT 2006

Hi, All,

I am not sure if it is a problem. Just to present here to see if
anyone gets the same feeling with me.

If I open a workflow in Kepler, and I close it immediately without
making any changes, the system will prompt me to "cancel/discard
changes/save" the workflow. It seems the system does not know if I
made changes to the workflow -- it is just to be polite to remind me
to save the workflow. While I usually appreciate the reminder,
sometimes I feel annoying to save an unchanged workflow. I know MS
word sometimes does the same thing (force the user to save unchanged
doc) for long documentations. But can we make our Keper a little bit
smarter than M$ Word? ;-)

Our Kepler do behave differently from Word on the  "Save As"
operation. If I open workflow A and save it as workflow B using the
"save as" operation, Kepler actually keeps the window for A open and
initialize a new window for B. As you can expect, when you close the
window B that you just "saved as" without making any changes, the
system will pop up a dialog to remind you to save it. Kepler will
also give you the opportunity to save the original workflow A though
you did not even touch it after the "save as".

I am not sure how hard it would be to fix these problems, if necessary.

Thanks!

Zhijie