[kepler-dev] Reg. ptolemy Jar files

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 10 08:10:31 PDT 2006

Hi Sivagowri,

To build ptolemy for kepler, you need to run
  cd $KEPLER
  ant ptolemy

To build ptolemy in Eclipse, see
  http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/nightly/doc/coding/eclipse.htm
Basically, you should be able to copy
  $PTII/.classpath.in to .classpath.default
or
  Install cygwin and run configure.

There are probably Eclipse instructions for Kepler
on the Kepler site, I did not look.

> My question is, cant we not just get the jar files of ptolemy from CVS or
> some other source, instead of building from scratch?

You could try one of the prebuilt kepler builds.

As to checking in jar files, in principle this could be done, but it
would consume time to set up and disk space.  It is better for
people to use the snapshots, which are more likely to actually work.

To me, the problem is that I want to run the latest version
of both Kepler and Ptolemy, so prebuilt Ptolemy jar files would
not help.

>    1.should I have to install java3d and quicktime?

No, you need not install these.

When building Ptolemy, configure should have properly excluded
the ptolemy.domains.gr directory if Java3D was not found.  If
quicktime is not found, then ptolemy.domains.gr.lib.quicktime
gets excluded.  I'll take a look.

Use the regular Eclipse way of excluding files and directories
from the classpath

For Kepler, the easiest thing is to run
    ant ptolemy

>    2. I got all the remaining jars in ptii\lib directory but not ptolemy.jar
>    and ptolemy-doc.jar is there any way I could make it to build?

The Kepler ant build copies files and then jars them, which I find
very slow.  It would be a really nice if there was an easy way to use Kepler
with a Ptolemy tree without build the jar files.  I've hacked up the
ant build files to do this, but had various problems with classpaths
so not checked in my changes.

So, if you want to build Kepler, you need to run
    ant ptolemy

_Christopher

Christopher Brooks (cxh at eecs berkeley edu) University of California
Programmer/Analyst Chess/Ptolemy/Trust        US Mail: 558 Cory Hall #1770
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2739	      Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 (W-F) 510.655.5480  (office: 400A Cory)

--------

    Hi all

    I am trying to set up the kepler development environment in my machine at
    home.(windows XP)
    I noticed that you need Ptolemy jar files in the eclipse environment for
    kepler to build. I downloaded ptolemy from CVS and found that there is no
    .classpath.default file at all.
    Without losing hope, I installed cygwin (after 2-3 tries) and typed
    ./configure

    It produced 2 errors relating to java 3D and java Quicktime installations.
    I am not using eclipse, as it produced too much errors.

    My question is, cant we not just get the jar files of ptolemy from CVS or
    some other source, instead of building from scratch?

    1.should I have to install java3d and quicktime?
    2. I got all the remaining jars in ptii\lib directory but not ptolemy.jar
    and ptolemy-doc.jar is there any way I could make it to build?

    It would be really helpful for me if somebody could answer this email by
    tomorrow, as I have to show a demo on wednesday.

    Thanx
    Siva