[kepler-dev] adding user login interface to Vergil

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 12 15:40:24 PDT 2005

Hi,

Zhijie Guan wrote:
> That post is realy great. Sorry I forgot to get track on this. I did
> check the prototypes when you posted, and thought they were just a general
> idea instead of real implementation. It's my fault.
>
> Just a few comments. I cannot post it on wiki pages since I do not have an
> account yet.
I created an account for you, UID guan, organization SDSC.  You can have
the password reset and mailed to you here:

http://kepler-project.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Authentication

> 1. The Kepler user may not "have to" log in before using Kepler. Though
> most of our users will be registered with the GAMA server, we still have
> some users who do not belong to any current-known group. An anonymous user
> account may be the alternative solution. But I doubt the users would like
> to log in when they just want to use their local resources. That's why I
> suggest the authentication dialog is integrated as a menu entry. So users
> can log in when necessary.
We also discussed, in addition to a menu entry, having actors be able to
request authentication of a given domain.  This would automatically
bring up the login dialog if a user is not yet authenticated for a given
domain.

> 2. For the "domain" part, I am not sure if we still need to know the
> user's domain(s). I remember Jing said the GAMA server (actually the
> MyProxy) could contact various LDAP servers to get the user
> authentication. In that case, no domain info is needed. We can either use
> the user-inputed domain info to locate the LDAP server, or let the GAMA
> server do the flooding search.
We need the Domain part.  There will be multiple GAMA servers.  GEONs
GAMA server is only one.  The Domain would be a human readable name that
maps 1:1 to a particular GAMA server to be used for authentication.

> Jing: Since we have the user interface already, should we start the design
> of the AuthenticationManager as you mentioned?
I'd like to see the public API for this before you start implementation
so that we can design it cleanly.  Could you add it to the wiki page as
you and Jing get it worked out?  You now have write access to the wiki.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara