[kepler-dev] actors with token rate via parameter

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 28 10:29:35 PST 2005

I looked at UpSample and noted that its input port has a fixed
'tokenConsumptionRate' of 1, while its output port has
'tokenProductionRate' equal to 'factor'.

Since 'factor' is an (actor) parameter, the ouput production rate can
be changed via factor.

Is this the "recommended" way of dealing with token rates? That is,
often they are fixed, but in special cases they might are mutable, and
if so this is indicated by "elevating" them to actor parameters!?

Some further questions and comments:
- I haven't followed in detail the usability suggestions made by Laura
for Kepler, but I would guess that showing actor and port parameter in
a (possiblity tabbed) window together (albeit clearly delimited) might
be a good idea for some applications/users.
- Also being able to express parameter constraints (mandatory ones, as
well as "recommended" ones, and even plain English comments) might be
useful.

Bertram

PS In Ptolemy, I *eventually* found 'upSample', but was missing the
Kepler quick-search function. Conversely, in Kepler, using
quick-search I quickly found that 'upSample' was (probably)
absent. Clearly, one wants the best of both worlds... :-)
Maybe quick-search and some of the (planned) dynamic actor repository
stuff will make it into Ptolemy later (or if Ptolemy hackers help,
sooner :-)

(which I found after a bit of search in Ptolemy
-- but not using t