[kepler-dev] Simple Search

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Nov 3 15:19:49 PST 2005

Yeah, we debated whether or not to have the source button so visible or
whether to bury it in prefs.  Burying it means few or no users would
regularly use it.  As the distributed searches can take a while,
sometimes its nice to disable several EcoGrid nodes so that the results
from a single node return faster.  This will be more needed as the
number of nodes grows -- but it also placesa burden onto the user to
know what nodes they want or need to search.  Today its pragmatically
useful, but it would be nice if we could eliminate it altogether and
simply direct searches to the most appropriate nodes automatically.  For
example, there is no need to search EcoGrid nodes for actors and
worflows if that node does not contain any KAR files, so some useful
coverage metadata in the EcoGrid registry could help the client
eliminate a bunch of nodes from the search without user intervention.
We have a facility set up for this node-level metadata in the EcoGrid
registry but are not currently using it because we haven't decided what
metadata we want for each node -- its something we should start using.

In summary I'd support moving the Sources button to Preferences, or
maybe to advanced search when it is created, and renaming it to make it
clear what it is for?

Matt