[kepler-dev] Re: illustrator svg settings

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Mar 8 13:03:32 PST 2005

Thanks for the update, Edward.  It suprises me a little that you are
moving towards raster formats given that the ptolemy canvas needs to
support such extensive rescaling operations while zooming.  I thought
SVG was a nice solution to that, and we were planning on using it for
all of our new icons.

The problem, of course, is that Ptolemy doesn't support some of the
basic SVG constructs such as group elements and path elements, among
others, so creating the SVG icons from standard apps is hard. So I've
been investigating what it would take to get the Batik SVG renderer
installed in Ptolemy for more complete SVG support.

Batik provides a Swing component
(org.apache.batik.swing.svg.JSVGComponent) that can render SVG that
looks very easy to use -- just create the component and pass it the SVG
DOM (see links below).  However, its not clear how Swing components fit
into the Diva framework.  Does the diva.canvas.toolbox.SwingWrapper
class work (it doesn't seem to be referenced from any of our code)?  If
so that might be a fairly simple way to handle it.  I've looked at the
existing XMlIcon and SVGIcon classes and they seem harder to adapt
because they are so closely tied into the Diva Figure framework using
PaintedObject (which Diva docs say is deprecated anyways).

What do you think?  Would SwingWrapper work?  If so, we might spend a
bit of time getting it implemented.  Your recommendations are
appreciated. Thanks,

Matt

Links
------