[kepler-dev] Combining the CommandLine and Exec actors

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Fri Jun 24 07:12:56 PDT 2005

Dan, Bilsay et al:

In order to return control immediately w/o waiting for the initiated
command/subprocess to finish, it should be possible to use "&", at
least in Unix-style systems, right?

So the good old
	$ myjob &
would run myjob in the background.

But then again, for platform independence it might be better to have a
parameter to the Cmd-Line actor that determines whether control is
returned immediately (a la "backgrounding") or after command
completetion.

Ptolemy-hackers:

Are there any directors (or could one conceive variants of the
existing ones) that are particularly well-suited/well-behaved with
Command-Line actor instances that return immediately?

Bertram

..