[kepler-dev] How do I create nested loops in Kepler

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 7 09:07:25 PDT 2005

Hi Edward,

Feel free to take a look and critique my proposed solution at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cxh/models/parameterizedLoops.xml

I like your solution because it does not use hierarchy and thus
might be more efficient.  However, hierarchy could be useful
here.

One issue with parameterizedLoops is that I'm really using the
input to the inner model as a trigger, much like one would
in DE.

Also, I was interested in how I would use PN to do something similar,
but did not get very far.  Do you have a PN solution?

_Christopher

--------

    Dan:

    This is a very good question. In fact, I wrote a paper once on this
    subject:

    E. A. Lee, "Recurrences, Iteration, and Conditionals in Statically
    Scheduled Block Diagram Languages," in VLSI Signal Processing III,
    Ed. R. W. Brodersen and H. S. Moscovitz, IEEE Press, New York, 1988.

    This paper is not on the web, although I could get you a copy if you like..
   .

    For your example, the attached model illustrates one simple technique.
    It also elaborates on it, producing the iteration indices for both
    the outer an inner iterations. There are also much more elaborate
    models one can create using higher-order components, like the
    IterateOverArray actor and many others that we haven't gotten
    around to porting from Ptolemy Classic...

    Edward