[kepler-dev] Issues with LSIDs

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 31 15:59:07 PST 2005

I agree with Shawn, with some minor comments:

Shawn Bowers wrote:
> My opinion is that we create, for the local case, an "almost" lsid
> version of an LSID. For example, to use and play with a new/revised
> actor, or a data set one could locally assign it one of these
> "temporary" lsids. And then only if someone wants to publish the
> resource, would we assign a "real" lsid to the item (where publishing is
> done automatically by the system).
>
> The "temporary" lsids could use formats such as
> urn:lsid:localhost:keplerlocal:<id>, where the namespace is just our
> default namespace for local id's, and the id portion is automatically
> assigned.
I think its best to stick to the LSID format, and use the DNS portion to
indicate that it is a local ID.

> There are probably a million other ways to gen up a local lsid format
> here.  Alternatively, we could just make up a completely new format for
> local ids ... with the caveat that they "become" real lsids when the
> item is published.
>
> When an item is published, I would assume the dns and namespace would be
> assigned based on where the item is published to (the remote repository).
Actually, it could be from any valid LSID authority, and is independent
of the remote repository.  For example, we might use an LSID server at
lsid.ecoinformatics.org to generate/reserve an LSID to an object that is
to be stored through the EcoGrid PUT function on any of the metacat or
SRB servers that a Kepler instance might know about.  This also makes
sure that an object stored on one server (e.g., a SRB node) can be
replicated on another server (e.g., a metacat node).  The object hasn't
changed, just its physical location, so it logical ID (LSID) shouldn't
change either.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara