[kepler-dev] Kepler Installer size

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 24 14:52:55 PST 2005

Hi All,
    At the recent Kepler developer meeting in Juneau, the question of
how much space components in the Kepler installer require came up. This
email is a summary of the alpha4 installer size requirements.

kepler-1.0.0alpha4-jre.exe --- 144,057 KB ; This is a compressed version
that includes the jre.

When uncompressed, the kepler install  requires 296 MB !
kepler/ptII4.0.1 --- 54.0 MB
   kepler/ptII4.0.1/ptolemy-doc.jar --- 53.5 MB
kepler/build/kepler.jar --- 13.1 MB
kepler/build/kepler-configs.jar --- 621 KB
kepler/docs --- 33.6MB
kepler/jre --- 39.7 MB
kepler/lib --- 145 MB
   kepler/lib/jar --- 30.5 MB
   kepler/lib/testdata --- 106 MB
   kepler/lib/testdata/garp --- 97.0 MB

We thus see that almost 100 MB of the installed version are due to the
garp test data. However, the GARP test data can be compressed quite
effectively. (It requires only about 7 MB in the compressed installer.)
[7/144  ~ 5% of the compressed package; 97/296  ~ 33% of uncompressed
package.]

We can reduce the jar files used in actors by dynamic loading, but there
is only 30.5 MB there. ptII documentation is ~53 MB in a jar and kepler
docs is 33.6 MB. We can reduce size by separate loading of this
documentation.

Dan
Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-892-2531