[kepler-dev] planned kepler-1.0.0alpha5 release

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 22 23:15:28 PST 2005

Hi Bertram,

I was suggesting to Shawn exactly the kind of configuration mechanism
that you described.  The idea would be that user prefs would override
defaults and survive kepler upgrades, and that user-prefs would be
bootstrapped by copying the defaults into the users .kepler directory.
So far we have a couple of configuration files in kepler, one of which
is in the traditional ptolemy "configuration", and one of which is
kepler-specific.  The ptolemy configuration file is quite a bit more
complicated to extend because it itself is a MOML file and is parsed
using the MOML parser, which requires a dynamically loadable class for
every configuration property.  So, for some of the simpler configuration
properties that we've simply wanted to record we have created a separate
config file (config.xml).  Its against this backdrop that we'd like to
create user-customizable configuation preferences, and allow users to
store their own ontologies.  A comprehensive solution needs to be
carefully designed to make it easier for us to extend and maintain the
kepler configuration and not complicate the already complex
configuration mechanisms we have in place.

Regarding the ontologies, I think user-customizable ontologies would be
great, and Chad is working on a design for a GUI that allows the simpler
classification ontologies to be modified as part of the Kepler tree.
More complex ontology editing I think is a difficult topic.  The sorts
of annotations that Shawn has proposed for data and actors are clearly
needed but are going to be difficult to compose even with an amazingly
well-conceived user interface (witness the difficulties with
comprehending simple ontologies with Growl).  I personally don't believe
the Sparrow language is suitable for exposure through the Kepler
interface for the ecological scientists and other scientists at whom we
are targeting the UI.   Do you have a user-clientele in mind that you
think would embrace Sparrow?  I don't think the ecologists will, but
maybe there's another group of users you have in mind.

About the actors that were hidden: they were simply not classified in
the actor annotation file because they were deemed not-useful for the
types of workflows we have been targeting. I think this needs to be
reviewed. We can either add them into the ontology in the categories
they belong, or create one or more new categories to contain these
'advance features' that should be less emphasized in the
categorization.  We should really get Laura involved in getting specific
user feedback from our ecological science testers about whether all
actors should be included and if not, which to exclude.  I think its
valuable to simplify the list of choices to include only those that are
useful to a particular domain.  Because we intend to support multiple
ontologies that can change from domain to domain, the list of actors
that are relevant can also be customized depending on the domain.  The
actors still exist in Kepler, so workflows that use them will still work
fine -- they just don't show up in the tree if they are not in the actor
annotation file.  Shawn and Chad can probably clarify the situation and
correct any mistakes I might have made in describing it.

Matt