[kepler-dev] Kepler vs Grass

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 9 14:12:07 PST 2005

Bertram,
    We have been looking a Grass (and other GIS systems) in particular
as part of the BEAM GARP/ENM work (and I am the main developer for
this). Due to its size, we (at least temporarily) decided not to try
integrating all of Grass. For the GARP workflows we needed only a few
Grass functions. So, Jianting at UNM/LTER pulled a few routines out of
Grass and turned them into actors (Convex Hull, Rasterization, etc). We
also needed some import of GIS files, so the GDAL module (part of Grass)
has also been turned into an actor.  We also created some pure java GIS
actors for manipulating raster grids, etc. A image display system
(ImageJ) was also used for displaying various spatial data. So there are
GIS actors that already exist and we are planning on adding others as
specifically needed. [Also, Efrat has/is adding a number of GIS features
through web services.]

    Examples of many of these existing features can be found by clicking
on the "ENM(GARP) Workflows" link which is the first link on the current
Kepler intro screen. Take a look at the "Rescaling Example" or the
"Convex Hull Operations" example.

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127