[kepler-dev] Bring to Front vs Move to first menu choice

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at cs.ucdavis.edu
Thu Dec 22 03:57:17 PST 2005

Edward:

I agree that the keyboard bindings of emacs can be (literally) painful.
However I attribute this mostly (or in great part) to today's keyboards.
When I learned emacs many years ago on a Sun-keyboard, the ctrl and meta
keys were very conveniently located (and the most used ctrl key was also
oversized just like Shift today). And indeed it was a bit difficult for
me to switch from a Sun keyboard to a PC keyboard where the ctrl key has
been moved away from the action (not to mention the meta key)...
At some point I had changed the keyboard mappings (e.g., on my thinkpad,
the CapsLock would make a great Ctrl key). The downside is that when you
start using someone else's keyboard you won't feel at home anymore (but
who ever does with another keyboard anywayse ..)

But what is nice about the emacs bindings is that they tried to be
consistent to the extent possible (doesn't always work with hundreds or
thousands of functions).
Here is an example (same with 'b' for backward etc.):

C-f	forward-character (some people calls this "cursor-right" ;-)
M-f     forward-word
M-C-f   forward-sexp (syntactic expression)

The latter is of course mode-specific, i.e., in lisp mode the editor
understands lisp expressions and you can jump over them, in Latex mode
it understands Latex expressions, in Java mode, Java expressions
etc. (at least one would hope).

Not everyone's cup of tea, but a fine taste anyways .
But we need to get those keyboards back.. see also:
http://www.johnbear.net/symbolics-keyboard-paper/gnu-emacs-kbd-for-mac3.html
and his discussion on sexp (syntactic expressions.. I wonder whether the
spam filter will get this..).

Bertram