[kepler-dev] port parameters

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 21 12:32:02 PST 2005

I'm not sure why you would have an error getting to section 5.4.
What version of Adobe Reader are you using?  7.0 is the latest.
I was able to view the pdf inside IE under Windows from home using my
slow DSL connection.

You could try downloading the pdf by going to
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/papers/05/ptIIdesign1-intro/
and right clicking and selecting "Save As" on the pdf.

I yield to Edward on the port parameter questions.

_Christopher

--------

    Thanks Christopher.  I thought I looked there and don't know how I missed
    it.  For some reason I can access section 3.3.2 but I can't get to Section
    5.4 (get a file I/O error of all things).   I've tried several times.

    As to the colors of PortParameters and ParameterPorts, I need to get these
    straight in my head before really making any kind of informed
    recommendation.

    >From a purely visual perspective, I will just raise the issue of using gra
    as possibly problematic simply because it is often used to indicate some
    disabled state.

    I might be worried that a gray triangle will instead say to the users that
    port is disabled for some reason.

    Some of the things I would want to understand before making an informed
    recommendation would be things like:

    -Can PortParameters and ParameterPorts also be singular or multiple?
    -Is there a specific reason why we would need to somehow distinguish them t
    the user visually?
    -If they really function on the basic level like regular ports do they need
    a different representation?
    -Would it be creators of workflows as opposed to runners or editors of
    workflows that need the distinction?

    Etc.

    Visual design can often get too cluttered if we try to differentiate too
    many things, then the coding (colors, symbols, shapes, thick lines, thin
    lines, dotted lines, bolded text, italics and so on) begins to be a burden
    to the user.

    Laura L. Downey
    Senior Usability Engineer
    LTER Network Office