[kepler-dev] Actor documentation

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 21 11:05:05 PST 2005

Here's a half baked idea.

I think it would be nice if users could update and comment on
documentation.

I was thinking it would be cool to have some sort of wiki for actor
documentation, or at least something so that users could annotate
actor documentation.  The PhP website uses this to great advantage,
see
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.eregi.php

The beauty is that users tend to make note of things that weren't
clear or "aha!" moments that they had.  Yah, the comments don't
make great reading, but I've found them really useful for PhP, where
I'm by no means an expert and often flailing around for a quick
solution.

_Christopher

--------

    At 10:58 AM 12/19/2005 -0700, Laura L. Downey wrote:
    >I'm a little confused here.  Why would the user want to edit the
    >documentation?  Or is this "edit" feature supposed to be for creators of
    the
    >documentation?

    Yes, or to modify the documentation for an instance of the actor,
    or to add documentation for a composite actor.  Can you think of a better
    phrase than "Edit Documentation"?

    Edward

    [LLD>]
    Oh I'm not opposed to the phrase "Edit Documentation," I was just thinking
    that many of the Kepler users would not ever edit the documentation, that i
    sort of like an advanced feature -- maybe only creators of new actors (the
    owners) would have the permission to edit the associated documentation.  I
    would also expect that we wouldn't want the documentation edited on the bas
    set of actors that ships with Kepler.  But maybe my assumptions are wrong..
   .
    I can't see any issue though with Ptolemy putting in "Edit Documentation" a
    a menu item.  Kepler can certainly hide or reveal the menu item as
    appropriate, I would assume.  (un oh more assumptions ) :-)

    Laura