[kepler-dev] Actor documentation

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 16 16:40:51 PST 2005

At 08:12 AM 12/16/2005 -0800, Ilkay Altintas wrote:
>When we tried this approach, it didn't scale to all the entities we'd
>like to be documented. It would be great if you have any ideas how we
>could combine it with the non-Java classes, workflows, packages, etc.
>We could probably have a hybrid approach using this and docbook-style
>hand-written structured documentation approach we take right now.

I think it will scale, but there is an art to getting the DTD
right for the doc files... It's fairly obvious what should be
in the DTD for documenting actors, but for the rest of these,
it's not so obvious.

My intent is that when docs are in a separate file from the
model, then they will be in a .xml file with top-level element
being <doc> ... </doc>. Then we can create a Tableau in Ptolemy II
so that whenever you open such a file either by following a hyperlink
from HTML or by the File...Open menu, then it will be displayed in
a doc display window like the one I sent...

I can see this scaling to composite actors and to models, but
packages may require a different strategy...

Edward

Edward A. Lee
Professor, Chair of the EE Division, Associate Chair of EECS
231 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0253 or 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2845
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal