[kepler-dev] JAI actors

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 1 15:11:27 PST 2005

At 02:12 PM 12/1/2005 -0800, nmangal at sdsc.edu wrote:
>However, most of the actors do not add the flexibility of putting such
>actors in automated execution workflows with least level of
>user-interactivity. Kepler Imaging actors keeping that flexibility in mind
>have added PortParameters as inputs for image manipulations in various
>actors. One can modify existing Ptolemy actors to add this flexibility or
>make use of Kepler Actors depending on further discussion results.
>On the other hand, some Unique Ptolemy actors can prove useful in future
>scientific workflows. Image Scaler for example of Ptolemy gives a user
>more options to modify the image as compared to ImageScaler of Kepler.

Converting parameters to PortParameter is generally a good
idea, I think. Moreover, this can be done without compromising
backward compatibility (!).

>Another feature distinct in Ptolemy actors, is that they are dependent on
>specifying a double matrix for affine/filter operations. Kepler Actors
>provide the user with the basic operations in affine /filter operations.
>However improvement can be made by modifying either Kepler/Ptolemy actors
>to incorporate both features of either using a commonly used operation or
>custom operation in the same actor.

I personally find the matrix specification rather hard to use...

Edward

Edward A. Lee
Professor, Chair of the EE Division, Associate Chair of EECS
231 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0253 or 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2845
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal