[kepler-dev] Request for adding documentation on Kepler Actors

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Dec 1 09:27:18 PST 2005

No.  We've considered this carefully over the course of several Kepler
meetings. We also did an experiment with doclets in a previous release
(which is currently not working because Sun broke their doclet code in
JDK 1.5), and determined the format is not optimal for our needs.

In addition, this is user documentation, not developer documentation,
and will need to be edited on a different cycle and by different people
than the source code.  So we feel it is better to not tie it to
revisions of the java files.  In addition, we need to be able to include
both natural language documentation and machine-readable documentation
in the form of OWL-DL statements.  So we decided that it was best to
group both of these types of documentation within the MoML description
of an actor.  As a result, the documentation can still be used in many
contexts as can doclets (ie, context sensitive help and html user manuals).

Finally, we need the same documentation for composite actors and
specialized atomic actors that we do for generic atomic actors, and so
the java code is not an option here (because composites don't have any
java code that is relevant to the specialized actor, and specialized
atomic actors can not be documented in the more generic java code).  As
a result, we decided it was best to use the MoML document which is
common to both composite and atomic actors to house the documentation.

Matt