[kepler-dev] Duplications of actors when searching the actor tree

Shawn Bowers sbowers at ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 18 20:33:11 PDT 2005

Hi,

Yes, now that you mention this problem I remember that the GIS one was a
bit strange (perhaps a distributed ontology editing problem ... i.e.,
someone at one time added a concept and called it GIS which is the same
name as another concept). I actually "fixed up" the actor ontology as a
test case, and it can be found under the ontology directory in kepler
(configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/ontologies/keplerActorOntology.owl).

The labels are what are shown in the browser, the id's are for "internal"
purposes...

I think we should actually match on label and not on id ... and save id
for a "real" identifier, e.g., with no implied assumption that the id is a
meaningful name. Another approach would be to introduce an owl annotation
property called something like "displayName".  But, I think that is pretty
much what "label" is for. Of course, we would need to require labels for
searching/browsing -- but I think that is okay.

On another note, we are about to change the entire way that the actor
search via semantic types is coded (to leverage the object manager). If
folks have suggestions on improvements, new features, things you'd like to
see, your comments would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

-shawn