[kepler-dev] Linking up Ptolemy with scientific workflow systems

Antoon Goderis goderis at cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 09:35:34 PDT 2005

Hi Kepler list,

I am a member of the myGrid workflow project in the United Kingdom, trying
to hook up with people with in depth knowledge of Ptolemy's Directors during
or after the Ptolemy workshop on May 12th.

myGrid has developed a set of components to construct workflows in
bioinformatics and is linked to Kepler through the LinkUp initiative
(http://www.mygrid.org.uk/linkup/). Some of the capabilities of the Kepler
and myGrid workflows are highly complementary, which has recently spawned
activity to interoperate the two environments. As part of this, I'm coming
over to the Ptolemy workshop to see how the Ptolemy concepts relate to a set
of standard patterns for control flow[1], data[2] and resources[3] in
workflow systems. These patterns were originally developed to compare
commercial workflow software but seem relevant for scientific workflow
systems, too. The patterns do not address how combinations of patterns
result into distributed execution models, and how such models can be
combined, a feature offered by Ptolemy.

I am looking for people who would be interested to sit down with me and go
over my mappings between the two. I will be in Berkeley 12-13 May, and in
San Diego the beginning of the week after. If you're interested to work with
us on this, please get in touch.

Cheers,

Antoon Goderis

Information Management Group
School of Computer Science
University of Manchester
United Kingdom

--
[1]
W.M.P. van der Aalst, A.H.M. ter Hofstede, B. Kiepuszewski, and A.P. Barros.

[2]
N. Russell, A.H.M. ter Hofstede, D. Edmond, and W.M.P. van der Aalst.
Workflow Data Patterns.
QUT Technical report, FIT-TR-2004-01, Queensland University of Technology,
Brisbane, 2004.

[3]
N. Russell, A.H.M. ter Hofstede, D. Edmond, and W.M.P. van der Aalst.
Workflow resource patterns.
BPM Center Report BPM-04-07, BPMcenter.org, 2004