[kepler-dev] Output as "As Row" and "As Table" in EML200Data Actor

Jing Tao tao at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Apr 11 15:59:41 PDT 2005

Hi, everyone:

Currently, when user selected "As Row" as output type, the actor will show
3 ports: first port is a string type - will send out a string token which
is one row data separated by delmiter, second one is a string type too -
will send out a string token which is the delimiter itself, the third one
is integer type - will send out a integer token which is the number of columns.

This approach works fine if the data file is simplied delimited. However,
if data file is in complex text data format (e.g., fix width), it will
cause some problems or make next step to need parse the data again. So I
am thinking if we can use a ptolemy Record to output a row. If we used
Record, there will be only one port in the actor(Maybe another port to
indicate end of data), the port type will a RecordType, which is a array
of data type based cloumn data types, and data is a vector which contains
the entire row. Fox example:
Here is table:

Name   age
Smith  24
John   21

The Record type will be {string, integer} and row data will {"smith", 24}.

For output type - "As Table" has same issue: currently when we choose this
output type, the actor will have 3 porst, the first one will send whole
data(seperated by delimiter) in the table as string token, the second one
will send the delimiter itself as a string token, the third one will send out the
number of columns.

We already has another output type -"As ColumnBased Table Record" and it
will send out whole table as column based arrays ptolemy Record. So I am
thinking to remove "As Table" because it is kind of duplicated to "As ColumnBased
Table Record". Another reseaon why I would like to remove "As Table" is
because we need to put whole table into memory in this output type and
this will cause problem when table is huge.

Any comments and suggestion will be appreicated.

Jing

---- --
Jing Tao
National Center for Ecological