[kepler-dev] an introduction and some questions

Timothy McPhillips tmcphillips at mac.com
Mon Apr 4 14:26:00 PDT 2005

Dear All,

I have been lurking on kepler-dev for a while and thought now was a
good time to introduce myself.

I am using Ptolemy II for automating scientific workflows in
evolutionary biology (e.g., inferring phylogenetic trees).  This work
is central to the Natural Diversity Discovery Project, a non-profit
organization I am founding.   One goal of the NDDP is to make it easy
for the general public to access the latest scientific data related to
evolutionary biology and to help the public understand the implications
of this data.  (You can read a bit more about this project on the
single web page I have up at  http://www.naturaldiversity.org.  I plan
to expand the web site shortly.)

I talked with Bertram Ludaescher and Shawn Bowers last month.  Bertram
suggested that I contribute the NDDP actors to the Kepler project, and
Shawn has sponsored me for a CVS trial account.  Before I add any files
to the repository, I wonder if I could get a little more information
about Kepler:

1.  Would it be OK to create a Kepler software release customized for
NDDP users?  (I mean direct users of the "phylogenetics workflow
automation framework," not those using the web-based "discovery
environment"--see the NDDP web page).  The variety of actors in Kepler
and Ptolemy II is rather dizzying.  I'd like to keep things simple for
my users (and keep the software distribution reasonably sized).

2.  Are there procedures for determining and documenting the stability
and quality of code, e.g., something like the Ptolemy project's code
rating system?  And are specific people or groups responsible for
maintaining particular sub-projects or source files?  I'd like to have
some way of knowing that only stable, tested code makes it into NDDP
software releases. And it would be nice to know who to turn to if a
problem arises.

3.  Are there any policies (or strong feelings) on intellectual
property and software licensing?  I see many Kepler source files that
are copyrighted by the University of California and have a
Berkeley-style license.  I also see a fair number of files with a GNU
Public License.  I want to be able to distribute NDDP software freely
(I've used an MIT-style license for past projects). I would like the
NDDP to retain the copyright on the software I contribute.  And I would
prefer to avoid dependencies on software with licenses more restrictive
than the Berkeley license.  Does using a CVS repository at UCSB (?)
have any implications in these regards?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.  I know from experience
that these kinds of organizational issues can be time-consuming to
address.  Be assured that I very much admire the Kepler effort and hope
that I can contribute to it.

Best regards,

Tim McPhillips