[kepler-dev] Kepler Alpha2 Installer Problems

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 20 10:00:06 PDT 2004

In principle, you can download .class files over the web and invoke
those classes.  However, this is a huge security issue.
It is also a best practice if the jar file is signed.

Running in the model in the sandbox might be appropriate, see
$PTII/doc/sandbox.htm

In Ptolemy Classic, we found that that the latency time of passing
tokens between actors running on remote processes was rather high.
This prevented high speed simulation.  However, for Kepler
applications transmitting data once every 'while', transmitting
tokens might be ok.

-Christopher
--------

    Hi All,

        Shawn's comment and some other discussions bring up some questions
    that I thought I would post for comments/discussion.

        Ptolemy has an example workflow (Network Integration) where the
    workflow is a URL rather than a local file. This allows one to post
    workflows anywhere on a network. But as I understand MOML, this only
    works for composite workflows; i.e. XML/MOML descriptions. Each
    workflow, when executed, is ultimately broken down  into atomic actors,
    written in Java and executed by calling the LOCAL class loader. In other
    words, there is no mechanism for using remote atomic actors. Is that
    correct?

        So, do we want to have a remote classloader for Kepler (load a
    remote atomic actor to the local system), or do we want to execute
    actors remotely and just transfer input and output tokens? (both?/neither?)
   .

    Dan

    Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
    http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-892-2531