[kepler-dev] Kepler Alpha2 Installer Problems

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 18 14:40:13 PDT 2004

BTW - about the Ptolemy 4.0.1 installer size,
much of the size is the source files and the javadocs.

The source jar file is 21Mb
The codeDoc jar file is 10Mb
The 3 volumes of the user guide total 8.9Mb
The JRE (which includes Java 3D, Java Communications API and others) is 23.6Mb

It is possible to create a smaller installer, but the problem with
smaller installers is that it increases the amount of testing I need
to do.  Some time soon, I'm hoping to build standalone installers for
HyVisual (Hybrid systems modeler) and VisualSense (Sensor networking
modeller) that would be much smaller.  It might also be worth building
a Ptiny installer.

With regard to the error message
Locally, we are using InstallAnywhere 6.0.
What installer are you using?
With InstallAnywhere, one can debug the installer by holding down the
Control key immediately after starting the installer, see:

http://www.zerog.com/iamanual/usermanual_ia6/en/WebHelp/to_translator/common_solutions/troubleshooting_installers.htm

I've seen errors from some older installers when run on machines with
more than 2 Gig free.  Are we sure that the Kepler installer really
requires 1-2 gig?  Seems like an installer bug.

-Christopher

--------

    Matt,
        GARP workflow data has already been removed from the installer, so
    it has nn effect on the size. Note that the Ptolemey 4.01 Installer is
    78MB which indicates that the Kepler addititions are only increasing the
    size slightly. I think most of the size is from documentation, although
    there is also quite a collection of zip files there.

    Dan

    ---