[kepler-dev] RE: [seek-kr-sms] computation ontologies

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 16 09:18:04 PDT 2004

Hey Rich,

As I have been trying to classify the library, I've mostly come to the
conclusion that your ideas on multiple classifications are correct.  My
classification seems just as arbitrary as the one that is already there.
  Mark and I are going to try to come up with an ecology-based
categorization next week.  Hopefully that will at least make more sense
to ecologists.

I'm kind of thinking right now that after we get a decent hierarchy
working for the original actors, the best thing we could work on after
that is allowing the user to customize that classification to his/her
own needs.  It would be interresting to allow a user to upload his own
classification to the grid to allow others to use it, although I'm not
sure how many people would actually be willing to put in the time to
customize their tree.

Hopefully Mark and I can come up with at least a preliminary ontology
for the library next week so we can have something working by october 15.

Thanks for your 2 cents.

chad