[kepler-dev] Small change in the Command Line actor

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Fri Sep 3 07:15:33 PDT 2004

Ilkay Altintas writes:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Yang and I have updated the CommandLine actor to have StringParameter
 > instead of StringAttribute.
 >
 > Please update your workflows that use the CommandLine actor(just the Command
 > attribute) with the new version of the actor.
 >
 > Sorry for the inconvenience, :)

Ilkay, Yang:

Thanks for the improvement. Of course your comment about updating
raises an important issue:

How to be backward compatible as much as possible while at the same
time minimizing the proliferation of stale or deprecated code (the
"old stuff").

It seems that sometimes creating a new version of an actor is a good
idea, while keeping the old version around for backward compatibility.

The old actor would be flagged as such ("deprecated -- use XYZ
instead") so that new workflows no longer use it...

Keeping track of all the versions seems like an interesting challenge
in its own respect.

I wonder how Ptolemy folks have handled this over the long duration of
their project (possibly including previous Ptolemy Classic etc)

Bertram