[kepler-dev] Proposal: Allow members to give apprenticeship (cvs write access) to trusted colleagues

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 27 12:43:48 PDT 2004

I would like to make a proposal for a rule change to the Kepler project
group rules.  Our current system of giving CVS write access to only
group members makes it cumbersome to get a (possibly) future member to
contribute code to the repository.  Right now, a current member has to
check code in for another individual until they are voted into the
group.  This is a major hassle, especially if the person you are helping
is not working in your office.  I think what most of us do is give our
password to a contributor, which is an unnecessary security risk.

To fix these problems I propose the following:  A current member would
ask for an apprenticeship account for the contributor.  This account
would have write access to CVS.  The member who asks for the account is
solely responsible for everything and anything that the contributor
submits/changes.  When the apprentice has shown that he/she will
continue contributing, the member can then propose a vote for
membership.  The important part of this is that the member is totally
responsible for whatever the apprentice contributes.   I think this will
keep members from requesting an apprentice account for anyone they don't
trust.

Before I propose a vote for this proposal, I'd like to hear any
feedback.  I'm open to modifying this if something thinks it's necessary.

Thanks,
chad