[kepler-dev] Re: [seek-dev] testing Ecogrid services in Kepler!?

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Wed Oct 13 16:04:30 PDT 2004

Matt:

Thanks for the prompt reply. This sounds very cool.

A question in the general Kepler (not SEEK only) context is this: Will
there be alternative ways to query data sources that are not Ecogrid
sources? Of course the purpose of the Ecogrid registry was (I remember
well) to precisely be the "mother of grids".

Maybe we can ultimately rename Ecogrid to Datagrid or KeplerDataGrid
something to not scare our non-eco Kepler users (hey, I'm doing this
chemistry, geologie, astrophysics, genomics stuff -- why would I put
it on the Ecogrid??? ;-)

Also could one envision (for Kepler) to have different "data tabs" or
one data tab that can be connected to different data grids?
For example a native Metacat data tab, a native SRB data tab etc?

The disadvantage (that the Ecogrid overcomes) is that different APIs
would have to be implemented. But actually once in Kepler the
difference seems to disappear.
The advantage would be that additional functions might be available.

Anyways, just an observation...

Bertram