[seek-dev] Re: [kepler-dev] When Searching

Rod Spears rods at ku.edu
Tue Oct 5 09:38:29 PDT 2004

The Ecogrid registry will have a certain amount of metadata discribing
what would be the equivalent of a portal, and although we are in the
middle of implementing the registry and determining what exactly will be
in the metadata.... I would imagine it will describe the providers and
that it is a "herp" enpoint, but I doubt it would describe anything much
more specific than that. In otherwords, I doubt it would describe that
it is an endpoint for just "frogs".

Now the SRB and Metacat have metadata associated with each data item.
When you use the search form today, it uses a hardcoded Metacat endpoint
and searches the metadata for the value you entered.

The interesting thing about DiGIR is that it doesn't have any metadata*
(see below) about all the data in each provider. Unlike the other
datasources, DiGIR providers use a specific schema i.e. DarwinCore. So
when a search is completed we will be creating the metadata "on fly" to
describe the providers that found the data in question.

Meaning if a user searched all the Herp providers for a specific species
of frog they may get 200 data records about this frog. So we will
condense this data down to the one or more providers that the records
came from and these providers will display in the list in the "Data"
tab. Then the user can be more specific about which datasets they want
to use in their workflow. (Although, after reading Dan's mail, I am not
sure having a list of providers is really the thing we need)

* DiGIR providers do have metadata that is avilable and there is a
keyword element ni the returned XML, the contents of that typically does
not have the fidelity that we need. For example, the provider "MaNIS
data provider for the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County." has
the keywords "museum, specimen, mammal" but it doesn't contain any
metadata about what kind of mammals.

Rod