[seek-dev] Re: [kepler-dev] When Searching

Deana Pennington dpennington at lternet.edu
Mon Oct 4 07:02:51 PDT 2004

I misunderstood your question...I'm not a taxonomist, but I suspect
that  any given taxonomic term might apply to only a couple of those
fields.  With a given search term, they should know exactly which
field(s) they are searching for.   Deana

Rod Spears wrote:

> I know the "Data" Search Tab and field is somewhat temporary... But
> given that is what we have today and will have for sometime, should I
> use the text in the search field to search every field in the Darwin
> core schema (as Chad has suggested, which is obviously more costly
> than search a specific field, but how costly I don't know) or should I
> enable it so they can search a specific field? Since these are
> scientists would it make sense they know what field they are searching
> for?
>
> Rod
>

> Deana Pennington wrote:
>
>> I think you should make all of them searchable.  Deana
>>

>> Chad Berkley wrote:
>>
>>> ahh, ok.  that wasn't clear from your first message.  I'm not an
>>> ecologist so I'm not completely sure, but it seems like all of them
>>> are important.  Is there a penalty for searching them all?  Is there
>>> a domain scientist that can chime in on this?
>>>
>>> chad

> --
> Rod Spears
> Biodiversity Research Center
> University of Kansas
> 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
> Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
> Tel: 785 864-4082, Fax: 785 864-5335

--
********

Deana D. Pennington, PhD
Long-term Ecological Research Network Office

UNM Biology Department
MSC03  2020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001