[kepler-dev] GridRescaler for GARP Workflow

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 16 11:10:23 PST 2004

Hi All,

Some thoughts/information:

One of the actors needed for the GARP workflow is a
GridRescaling/Interpolation actor. It's basic purpose is to change the
extent and cellsize of grid of data. In particular, this is needed for
GARP because all the input layers must have the same extents and cell sizes.

There are several ways of doing this. First of all, there is already an
actor that will create a grid from data (Interpolate actor, created by
Efrat and John Harris) which uses a IDW algorithm. This actor is
designed for sparse, irregular data, however rather than large regualar
input grids (e.g. *.asc files). John also created an R example, which
again is for sparse data (uses a X,Y,Z asci input).

Other possibilities include the use of Grass routines or gdal. Chad is
getting gdal running for data input; its use for rescaling still needs
to be investigated. Questions include whether very large grids (too
large to fit in RAM) can be handles and what interpolation algorithms
are available (probably want at least nearest-neighbor and
inverse-distance-weighting).

One of the primary issues that we have to consider is rescaling very
large grids. One of the Hydro1k DEM layers has roughly 75 million cells.
Simply loading that grid into memory would exceed RAM on many machines.
We thus need code that does not require the entire grid to be loaded in RAM!

I have also implemented some pure Java code for regridding *.ASC files
(i.e. dense, regularly spaced data sets). It turns out that the code for
working with regularly spaced data is much simpler than that for
irregular data (especially for nearest neighbor). (See Grid.java in
kepler/src/Grid.java). Nearest-neighbor and IDW algorithms have been
implemented. To handle large grids, I reused the PersistentVector class
which was created for handling very large datatables in Morpho. This
code can thus rescale (or 'cut' sections out of) large *.ASC files.
Performance seems to be reasonable, but testing is incomplete. In
addition, an actor wrapper is still being put together.

Dan Higgins

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-892-2531
735 State Street - Room 205