[kepler-dev] Re: sampling

Deana Pennington dpennington at lternet.edu
Thu May 27 08:23:15 PDT 2004

Edward A Lee wrote:

> Another question is, do you really want to do this?  I personally
> find it very annoying when I start a program, go get some coffee,
> and find that it stopped just after I left to ask me a question
> like "Are you sure you want to do this?"  As a result, it made
> no progress while I was gone...  I would use these sorts of dialogs
> very sparingly...
>
> Edward

The problem is that, in this case, the parameters depend on the data
that are going to be used in the analysis.  In the simple case where
some known data are going to be input directly to the sample actor, the
parameters could be set in advance.  But if we are going to use the
actor in a workflow where we query for data and integrate data from
different sources, the user isn't going to know how to set the
parameters until the first part of the workflow is done.  He may know
that he wants a random sample, but he doesn't know what the available
column names will be.  Which is why it would be nice to have the SMS
system analyze the workflow and the data that are going to be ingested,
figure out what the data will look like that will go into the sample
actor, find all the parameters that require user input, and prompt the
user to make those selections right off the bat...  Or better yet,
rather than present the user with column names to choose from, present
him with terms from an ontology/controlled vocabulary...

The only short term solutions that I see are:
1) set up actor parameters that require the user to know the column
name(s) of interest in advance, and type them in
2) have a UI for each actor that reads the input data and prompts the
user to select from available columns

Should probably allow for either (eg, if the parameters are set before
runtime, then the prompt window should not appear).

Deana

--
********

Deana D. Pennington, PhD
Long-term Ecological Research Network Office

UNM Biology Department
MSC03  2020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001