[kepler-dev] Re: sampling

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed May 26 10:55:15 PDT 2004

Hi Deana,

See my comments below:

On May 26, 2004, at 1:24 AM, Deana Pennington wrote:

> Chad,
>
> I worked on this for several hours yesterday, and still have some work
> do today.  It would be easy to figure this out just for the mammal
> project...its turning out to be more difficult to think through a
> generic
> sampling routine.  I think I have it figured out, now, though, and am
> writing up some instructions for you.  I'll send those by the end of
> the
> day.  Then we can talk about it on IRC, or by phone.

Cool.  I'll be on IRC all day so just let me know when you're ready to
chat.

> Question:  I want to be able to sample in any dimension (space: x,y,z,
> time t, or other dimensions).  We should be able to figure out which
> fields in a parsed dataset are which, but I need to also allow for the
> selection of other dimensions, which will have to be identified by the
> user.  I thought about setting this up so that we could use your eml
> ingestion actor to parse a file, then send it to the sampler.  However,
> that requires mapping specific eml outport ports to specific sampler
> input
> ports, which will not be known until runtime.  What is the best way to
> set
> it up so that the user can send a file to the sampler actor, see some
> information about the fields, and either select or parameterize the
> correct fields to be sampled?

I've been tossing this idea of stopping the execution to ask for input
around in my head since the SEV meeting.  I haven't really come up with
a good solution other than writing an extension to the pause actor that
allows an input dialog to be popped up.  How to configure that dialog
or get the actual information you need is a tough question since I'd
like to make it generic enough to work with workflows other than GARP.
Edward or Christopher, do you have any examples of workflows that stop
execution and ask users for input then continue executing based on that
input?  I haven't seen any.  Does anyone have any good ideas on how
this could be done generically?

The flow as I see it is:
1) execution is paused
2) a dialog that is partially preconfigured at design-time and fully
configured at run-time is presented to the user
3) the user makes a choice, altering the exec-time parameters of the
rest of the workflow

Note that in 2, the run-time configuration may include such things as
dialog widget configuration with run-time produced data (e.g.
populating a list box with a run-time data stream).  The design-time
configuration would include issues such as choosing the input/output
ports and configuring what the logic of the dialog is (this may be
tricky).

I think this is probably a necessary bit of functionality since I have
seen a couple different eco workflows prototypes that want to do this.

comments?

chad