[kepler-dev] Re: [SDM-SPA] Kepler Installer

David Buttler buttler1 at llnl.gov
Mon Mar 15 11:16:53 PST 2004

A quick follow up to these questions:

1) in the first conference call relating to the InstallSheild vs.
InstallAnywhere discussion, I remember that someone from Ptolemy had
said that they used a free version of the InstallAnywhere installer.
Can we get a pointer to that free version?

2) I still am unsure of exactly what the kepler installer is supposed to
be doing.  Xiaowen has listed several actions that the ant installer
takes below, but it seems that the windows installer is doing something
significantly different.  Would it be possible to get a list of all
installer actions?

4) Speaking of installs, it seems I owe a big apology to the producers
of the previous build.  Apparently, the problems that I ran into were
due to issues with my laptop. [I was unable to install other software as
well, even with a sys admin doing all of the work].  I am still
frustrated with InstallSheild for producing incomprehensible errors [I
still don't know the cause of "error 2203", although I now know what
this particular error means].  As far as I can tell, it was no fault of
Zhengang or Ilkay, or anyone else involved with producing the SPA
install program.  But I would like to point out that this shows
*potential* problems with an install script -- all errors need to be
caught, and informative error messages displayed.  If the tool breaks,
that is beyond our control, but anything short of that should be
gracefully handled.

5) It seems that one of our installer goals is to have a complete
package that includes all of the software that we depend on (JRE,
Ptolemy, and Kepler additions). As a first step, would it be a good idea
to put together the list of actions required to produce the final
working product as a large ZIP file?  While this may not be sufficient
for our final users who may expect a simple point-and-click installer,
as an intermediate step that produces something that can be used
immediately, but requires a little more user sophistication seems
reasonable to me.  And by explicitly specifying the install steps
(outside of a particular install product), we should be able to more
easily synchronize the different platform builds.

6) As a final note, I would like to make sure that we have a CVS tag for
each beta version of source code that will be used by the installer.
This should help minimize the confusion of what exactly is in a
particular build.

Dave