[kepler-dev] forwarded message from Vouk

Christopher Hylands Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 1 18:37:06 PST 2004

Getting the right version of Java installed could be the trickiest
part.  Ptolemy II requires Java 1.4
http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/index.html#gen_1
discusses what the version of Java that is available.  It looks
like recent versions of MacOS should have 1.4 installed, but the
installer or webpage should definitely check.

BTW - The way I handle releases is that I first create WebStart
releases to get the jar files properly set up, and then use unsigned
jar files to create an InstallAnywhere release.

The advantage of WebStart is that it is possible to modify a jar file
and install just the changed jar file instead of building an entire
release on the build server, transferring the release (possibly over
DSL), uninstalling the old release and reinsttalling it.

One issue is that in WebStart, the jar files are signed, but in
InstallAnywhere, they are not.

Also, when testing an installer, try visiting the
about:copyright page
(You can't type in that URL, you need to click on a link for it to
work)
That page has links to about:, which leads to pages to test
the configuration and demos.
These are hacks, but they are a big help in getting the configuration
right.

-Christopher

--------