[kepler-dev] forwarded message from Vouk

Christopher Hylands Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 1 18:09:59 PST 2004

Sorry I missed this, I was away from email over the weekend and
earlier today.  Feel free to forward this on to llnl or ncsu.

In theory, building Ptolemy releases is fairly straightforward.
I have this somewhat complex makefile that uses GNU tar exclude
files to build releases.  I'm not sure if the makefile would
be of much use, it is in ptII/adm/gen-3.1, which is in the
ptII CVS repository, but not in the release.

The makefile is a bit of a mess, as it supports multiple builds
on different machines.  I can see about cleaning it up.

Don't forget that we need to be careful about releasing the code in
the Ptolemy II CVS repository.  Depending on what Professor Lee says,
I'd prefer that no one with access to the Ptolemy II CVS source
repository ship any of the Ptolemy II CVS source without our ok.
In particular, the copyrights need updating, the code needs to be
reformatted and spellchecked etc.  I'm fairly comfortable having jar
files released that are based on the Ptolemy II CVS repository even
if the source is not clean.  This is not hard and fast, please check
with Professor Lee and/or myself before shipping files from the
ptII CVS tree.

In any case, it sounds like you want to release Ptolemy II3.0.2 with
new actors that you have written, so this is mostly moot.

I believe that we are planning on having some sort of release in
April of the Ptolemy II CVS tree, more news as it develops.

I really do not recommend Installshield.  I spent quite a bit of
effort with Installshield's Java product for Ptolemy II 1.0 in March,
2001.
The bugs I had are at:
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII1.0/installshield.htm#bugs

Presumably, Installshield has addressed many of these bugs.  However,
installing Sun's JDK (1.4.2 or 1.5) uses Installshield and for some
reason the install pauses for several minutes.  I'm not sure why.
I poked around and installed a patch from Installshield and it did not
help.

I recommend InstallAnywhere over Installshield, but if you get
InstallShield working for you, then great, go with it.

The Mac port is crippled by the lack of a right button to bring up
context menus.  Details can be found at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII3.0/mac.htm

I have access to a Mac OSX machine and am willing to spend a certain
amount of effort on testing things and such.  Basically, the Mac port
needs a champion.

-Christopher

--------