[kepler-dev] nightly build system

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jun 14 13:52:52 PDT 2004

Hi,

I think I've finally found a nightly build system that I like.  AntHill
does most, if not all, of what we talked about at the meeting(s).  You
can check it out at http://trestles.nceas.ucsb.edu:8080/anthill/
The anthill homepage is at
http://www.urbancode.com/projects/anthill/default.jsp
They have two versions, an enterprise edition that costs like $1200 and
a free OS version (which I installed).  The OS version has a very good
PDF user manual that you can download from their site.

I currently have two projects defined: kepler and kepler-test.  kepler
just runs 'ant jar' and produces a result based on the compilation and
jarring of the head of CVS.  kepler-test run 'ant test' and is
determines success based on whether any junit tests fail.  kepler-test
is dependent on kepler because if the compilation fails, there isn't
much point in running the junit tests.  (Some may argue this with me,
but for our current rules governing checking in working (read:
compilable) code, I think it's right.)

The only problem I have with the AntHill system is that the web
interface is insecure.  Anyone can go to it and mess with the builds.
It was designed to be on an intranet so I don't think they really took
security seriously.  I think we can probably modify this (at least put
it behind a password protected directory or something) if we decide this
system works for what we want.

So please check it out and let me know what you think.  I currently have
it set to run the builds at 23:00 PDT everynight.  If you want to add
yourself to the email part of it, click 'edit' next to kepler or
kepler-tests then go down to the anthill.users param and add your name
and email.  Currently I'm the only one getting email.  I think if we
decide to use this, we would probably add a list address here, but if
you just want to try it out, add your email manually.  Also, this is
just installed on trestles for testing.  It would be installed on
ecoinformatics.org if we decide to use it.

let me know if you have any problems/questions.

chad