[kepler-dev] Re: [seek-kr-sms] UI

Ferdinando Villa ferdinando.villa at uvm.edu
Tue Jun 8 15:44:15 PDT 2004

Hi Deana,

I've started thinking along these lines some time ago, on the grounds
that modeling the high-level logical structure (rather than the workflow
with all its inputs, outputs and loops) may be all our typical user is
willing to do. Obviously I'm biased by interacting with my own user
community, but they're probably representative of the wider SEEK user
community. So I fully agree with you here.

However, I don't think that we can achieve such an high-level paradigm
simply by augmenting the actors specifications. For the IMA I've done a
pretty thorough analysis of the relationship between the logical
structure of a model/pipeline/concept and the workflow that calculates
the states of the final "concept" you're after; as a result of that, I'm
pretty convinced that they don't relate that simply. In Edinburgh (while
not listening to the MyGrid presentation) I wrote down a rough
explanation of what I think in this regard (and what I think that my
work can contribute to SEEK and Kepler), and circulated to a small group
for initial feedback. I attach the document, which needs some patience
on your part. If you can bear with some dense writing with an Italian
accent, I think you'll find similarities with what you propose, and I'd
love to hear what you think.

Cheers,
ferdinando