[kepler-dev] agenda for kepler meeting

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Wed Jun 2 22:18:12 PDT 2004

MJ> Rod, Dan, Chad, Efrat, and Jing,
MJ> Here's a proposed agenda for the 2 day kepler development meeting next
MJ> week while I'm in Santa Barbara.  I'll be out of contact from COB today
MJ> until Wednesday, so we can revise it first thing Thursday morning, and
MJ> decide priorities.  Please send any additional agenda items so we can
MJ> all think about them before arriving.
MJ>
MJ> Topics:
MJ> a) Design of data access UI (Rod, Matt)
MJ> b) Design of EML data source for data query access (Jing, Matt)
MJ> c) Design ontology-based actor and data browsing UI (Chad)

Matt et al:
Is there any info already available on those?
I'm in particular interested in reviewing (c)

MJ> d) Integration with Ptolemy 4, staying synced with Ptolemy CVS
(Efrat)

that's also a biggy... I'm curious what suggestions and solutions you
guys come up with

MJ> e) Actors: sampling, R, etc. (Dan)
MJ> f) revising the build system for compatibility with IDEs, nightly build
MJ> system, unit testing, bug tracking (Chad)

Here is other related/relevant stuff:

g) documentation standards: e.g., we might have a certain minimal
template for a "manpage" style documentation of each actor that goes
in the cvs repository. This can be part of the Java doc, but it should
be clear how those look like and what is expected. I think overall at
least the following are needed:

g1) actor documentation (for users); similar to "man <actor>"; for the
command line challenged those could come up when one right clicks on
an actors and asks "get documentation". This is already in place
thanks to Ptolemy/Vergil but we need some conventions what goes in the
javadoc for an actor

g2) workflow documentation: there may be two versions of it "Outreach"
and "Real User". The former may be include a snapshot with an overview
and a page or two explaining what the workflow does and how it
works. The "Real User" documentation views a workflow as "serious
application" and is thus user manual for that specific workflow... we
probably won't have those anytime soon!?

g3) Kepler user manual: at some point we need to start that one
too. Obviously we can learn a lot from the various Ptolemy manuals
(users, developers, researchers). Our first audience would be users
(scientists) I think. If (g1) and (g2) are down well those can go in
there.

I think (g3) is a longer term goal but (g1) is really urgent..

h) Finally there are various other topics, including "extended
reference-aware web services" which can interpret certain inputs as
references and fetch the data directly from a 3rd party, not
necessarily from the caller. Deployment of workflows is another one..
(and I'm not mentioning extensions towards a static type system nor
automatic metadata annotations..)