[kepler-dev] kepler hackathon 2004

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 10 10:11:07 PST 2004

Hi,

I've been thinking about last week and how much rich, mark and i got
done in a short period of time by just sitting together with our laptops
and helping each other hack out code (or pipelines).  I'd like to
propose that a small number of us (maybe 5-8 people) get together in the
next couple months...maybe april, and have a hackathon...that is, a
group extreme programming session.

I think if a few of us that are heavily involved in code development got
together in a room and just helped each other out, we could produce a
lot of code in a short period of time.  I think this would be especially
useful in fixing the interface problems that we've identified.  We could
break into subgroups to attempt domain specific problems as well.

I talked with rich and mark about this last week and they seemed to
think it would be beneficial.  If the people with control of the money
think this is a good idea, I'd be willing to organize it.  Maybe we
could have it at a neutral location, preferably somewhere with crappy
weather so we're not tempted to want to go outside.  How's Omaha sound?
  :)  I think probably a 3 day session would be good...maybe 4, but I
think after 3 days of intense coding, we'd be pretty fried.

Anyway, I wanted to throw this idea out there and see what other people
thought about it.

chad

--
Chad Berkley