[kepler-dev] bugzilla and kepler

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Mon Feb 9 12:19:22 PST 2004

MJ> Hi Chad et al.,
MJ> I reconfigured the bugzilla module to use
MJ> 'kepler-dev at ecoinformatics.org' as the QA Contact for all bugs.  So you

ok. Hopefully we don't loose some kepler-dev folks because of this.

Probably the "bugzilla storm" will ebb away soon and so people will
fully appreciate the benefits of using bugzilla

MJ> do not need to add the list to the CC field for new bugs -- it'll be
MJ> automatically emailed to the list.
MJ>
MJ> Thanks, Chad, for setting this up.

yep, thanks

Bertram

MJ> Matt
MJ>
MJ> Chad Berkley wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As Bertram has keenly noticed, I've setup a bugzilla project for kepler
>> and I've posted the first few bugs that I noted last week in our BEAM
>> meeting.  It would be great if everyone could document what you're
>> currently working on in bugzilla so we all could get a good idea of what
>> is going on and so we don't have any doubling up of coding.
>>
>> I've created 3 milestones for kepler...beta 1, beta 2 and release on the
>> tentative dates may 7, june 1 and june 12 respectively.  For me (and
>> SEEK) the most important one right now is the May 7 since we will be
>> meeting in Edinburgh May 8-12 and it we should have something to show. I
>> set June 12 for release 1 because it's right before SSDBM.   I'm not
>> sure if that is an achievable milestone, but these things aren't set in
>> stone.  I picked June 1 for beta 2 just it was a couple weeks before
>> release 1.
>>
>> If you create bugs for the kepler project, set
>> kepler-dev at ecoinformatics.org to the CC field and the bug messages will
>> get propegated out to the list.  Note that if you assign a bug to
>> yourself, but you don't go back and "accept" that bug, you'll start
>> getting tons of email from bugzilla telling you about your open bugs.
>> just accept your bugs and this won't happen.
>>
>> let me know if anyone has problems using bugzilla or with the way I've
>> set this up.
>>
>> chad
>>

>> Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
>>
>>> First: thanks for cross-posting to Kepler dev!

b> below is a list of GUI enhancements that were noted at the SEV
>>> meeting.  Each
b> needs to be addressed before the interface is really usable.  Some
>>> of these bugs
b> might be Mac specific but most of them are not.  b> b> --move actor
>>> config to one dialog
b> --make actor lib searchable
b> --add metadata to actors for different categorization
b> --make the actor lib re order itself when you choose a different
>>> director...it
b> should only show actors that work with that director

>>> wow, that's a tough call (maybe undecidable ;-)
>>>
>>> It requires from each actor developer to annotate what director may
>>> work.
>>> This is barely feasible. Also: since actors and directors are largely
>>> developed  indepdently, this will not show "legacy actors" as being
>>> usable as new directors come in...
>>> maybe the default should be: every  actor works with every director,
>>> unless otherwise specified...

b> --allow output to be viewed on the vergil canvas

>>> ??
b> --add user documention to each actor

>>> sure

b> --make it easier to expose parameters to the run window
b> --allow actors to have aliases
b> --remove functionality that domains scientists would not use (EE
>>> stuff)
>>>
>>> should be part of the general "customize your library" effort.

b> --change paste behavior to force pasted elements to be in the
>>> current clipping
b> view instead of the middle of the canvas
b> --allow all ports to display port name or have arcs display the
>>> name of the
b> values passed
b> --when you add a port, don't randomly select the cardinal
>>> direction...inputs
b> should be west, outputs east BY DEFAULT
b> --make dialogs resize based on screen resolution
b> --the zoom buttons are totally unintuitive.  they need new icons

>>> In the recent Ptolemy demos by Steve and Yang, I have seen standard icons

b> --allow ampersands in annotations

>>> Good that this all has been assigned to Chad ;-)
>>>
>>> Bertram

b> kepler-dev mailing list
b> kepler-dev at ecoinformatics.org