[kepler-dev] Re: [seek-dev] RE: garp tools

Ferdinando Villa ferdinando.villa at uvm.edu
Mon Feb 2 06:27:37 PST 2004

Frank Warmerdam (author of GDAL/OGR) is also behind OSSIM
(www.ossim.org) which has the standard NN, bilinear and bicubic
resampling algorithms. There's also an API version of the core grass
libraries, but as I understand it's limited to i/o. As a plus, the guy
has been nice and responsive in all my previous dealings with him. All
in all, I don't think there's a shortage of open source GIS
functionalities now that JTS/GEOS exists (previously there was no
reliable o/s topology library at all, even with no opengis compliance).
It's just a matter of getting familiar with what's there, pick and
package what we need sensibly. To me it sounds like a better strategy
than striving to use ARCstuff for core functionalities, although knowing
that a bridge can be developed when needed is reassuring.