[kepler-dev] orbstat in java (was Re: Roadnet Kepler demo)

Tobin Fricke tobin at splorg.org
Wed Dec 8 18:45:17 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Tobin Fricke wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
>
> > also: I wonder whether Kent's recent orb command (to find the list of
> > valid sources) is executable using the current orb actors?
>
> It's not, but it could be implemented pretty easily.

It turns out that it's actually already implemented -- I don't know how I
forgot this!  Danny at BRTT wrote a nice graphical program that will, via
the Java interface, interrogate an Orbserver as to its status, sources,
and connected clients.  In an Antelope environment with contrib installed,
you can execute this program via the 'orbstatj' command (wrapper script).
If you have Kepler installed (all you need is 'antelope.jar'), then you
can invoke it too:

 java -cp ${KEPLER}/lib/jar/antelope.jar com.brtt.antelope.JFrameOrbStat

It is quite easy to use the interface.  The following program lists the
sources available on an orb:

import com.brtt.antelope.*;

public class stat {
        try {
            Orb orb = new Orb("mercali.ucsd.edu:6770", "r&");
            OrbSource sources[] = orb.sources();
            orb.close();

            for (int i=0; i<sources.length; i++)
                System.out.println(sources[i].srcname);

        } catch (Exception e) {
            System.out.println("Error: " + e);
        }
    }
}

You'll need antelope.jar in your classpath to compile that, of course.

Tobin