[kepler-dev] jar file locations

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 8 09:14:07 PST 2004

Hi Ilkay,

The Java Web Start FAQ has a question:

http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/faq.html#72
which says:
--start--
How do I use JAR files that are signed by different certificates?

The JNLP 1.0 specification requires all JAR files used in a single
JNLP file to be signed by the same certificate. This restriction
avoids having the user to accept multiple certificates from the same
source, as well as it allows Java Web Start to know if the user has
accepted all certificates that are used for a particular application.

JAR files that are signed with different certificates can still be
used with Java Web Start. If the JAR files contain code from different
packages, they can be places in different JNLP files, by use of the
component extension mechanism. To do this, instead of the following:

<jar href="myjar1.jar"/>
<jar href="jh.jar"/>

have:

<jar href="myjar1.jar"/>
<extension name="Java Help" href="help.jnlp"/>

and then add a help.jnlp file with the following contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://ws503" href="Help.jnlp">
    <information>
        <title>JavaHelp</title>
        <vendor>Sun Microsystems, Inc.</vendor>
    </information>
    <resources>
        <jar href="jh.jar"/>
    </resources>
    <component-desc/>
</jnlp>
--end--

This might only work in more recent versions of Web Start.

_Christopher

--------

    Dan,

    I think we need to clean the jars as well. I had to deal with the same
    problem when working on the webstart generation.
    It didn't break the version in august when I reduced the duplicate jars
    into one.

    Another problem I have when generating the webstart is on signing some
    of the jars.
    It looks like some jars have to keep their original signature so when I
    remove the originals and resign them the actors that use them break.
    If I don't sign them, the webstart doesn't work because all the jars
    need to be signed by the same signature.
    Does anybody have a suggestion on how to solve this?

    Thanks very much!
    Ilkay