[seek-dev] Re: [kepler-dev] seek/kepler conference call notes

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 26 07:53:25 PDT 2004

At 02:57 PM 8/25/2004 -0400, Ferdinando Villa wrote:
>Matt,
>
>I'm not sure I'm not reinventing something that's obvious to the
>Keplerites, but shouldn't WSDL, EML and R be seen as actor definition
>languages (as opposed to  configuration) in kepler? Is a mechanism where
>a user query for data or the loading of a script creates an actor
>definition (instance of an abstract EML/WDSL/R actor that provides the
>generalized methods for it to do its work) conceivable in the current
>implementation? That would clean the design up quite a bit.
>
>ferdinando

This perspective could be strongly reinforced if "Look Inside"
were overridden to reveal the WSDL, EML, or R definition, rather
than the Java code for the actor that implements the web service
interface, etc.

See for example the PythonActor in MoreLibraries/Python.

In this case, I would agree with Matt that the semantic annotation information
should be in the WSDL/EML/R file, since that is the actor definition.
Mechanically, however, the underlying actor would still process these
semantic annotations by creating an instance of the SemanticAnnotation
attribute.

One advantage of this approach is that the SemanticAnnotation attribute
could handle creating P2P indexes, which means then that these indexes
would be equally able to refer to Java actors, models in MoML, WSDL
URLs, EML specifications, or R files.  I.e., the SemanticAnnotation
attribute would mediate the multiple languages...

Does this make sense?

Edward

Edward A. Lee, Professor
518 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2739
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal