[kepler-dev] seek/kepler conference call notes

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Wed Aug 25 12:20:17 PDT 2004

Matt Jones wrote:

> 2) Some of our actors have a set of ports that are defined and loaded at
> design time rather than compile time, and are determined by an external
> source.  For example, the EMLDataSource actor gets its port definitions
> by reading the metadata about a data source, and the WebService actor
> gets its port definitions by reading the WSDL document for the service.
> I had thought that having external annotations would be good because
> they could be associated with the WSDL or EML rather than the actor
> itself.  We'll need a way to annotate these dynamically created ports as
> well as those that are statically defined within an actor.  I envision
> this to be common.  Another example is instantiating a hypothetical R
> actor with the ports needed for data flow into and out of a specific R
> script, rather than using the CommandLine as we currently do (which
> bypasses all of our typing mechanisms).

These actors that configure themselves based on some other information
seem to be tricks to make (1) the user interface uniform and (2) to
avoid writing user interface code.  (This isn't meant to be a negative
comment about these types of actors, just an observation, and in fact it
probably makes sense to do it this way rather than to have separate user
interfaces for each such generic component.) In and of themselves, they
are not "real" actors because they haven't been "instantiated" or
"implemented" until they are configured. That is, to actually use them
in a workflow they have to be realized (they are acting as shells, or
abstract classes without implementations).  Once one of these actors has
been configured, they conceptually generate a new, "concrete" actor.

So what about this idea: Force annotation through Ptolemy, so we don't
have to figure out how to annotate multiple languages (EML, WSDL, XML,
etc., etc.). And the only thing that could be annotated would be actors
and models (workflows). Similar to what Edward mentions, you might have
a context menu entry for actors called "annotate" which would bring up
the annotator tool. So, if I configure the WebService actor with an
actual web service WSDL, then I should not only be able to name and save
the new actor (which can currently be done), but also annotate it just
like any other actor. The same should be true of the EML actor, and any
of the expression language ones. For EML, the actor is representing the
corresponding dataset.

An interesting problem/question with these generic actors is whether it
is useful to determine if there already exists a concrete version that
has been annotated, after configuration. Lets say I used the generic
WebService actor to create a concrete actor for WebService ABC. I also
went to the trouble of saving it and annotating it. Now, someone else
creates a new workflow and wants to use the ABC WebService, but doesn't
realize I went to the trouble to already construct and annotate it. It
would be really great if as they "instantiated" ABC with the WebService
actor, it could inform them that one already exists.  This probably gets
a little tricky ;) for the expression languages, but for EML and for
WSDL, I think it makes sense.

Shawn