[kepler-dev] Re: zero-length arrays

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 13 04:36:52 PDT 2004

This is a good point... In fact, the ObjectToken in Ptolemy II is already
a way "around" the immutability... It is very risky to use it with mutable
objects, however, since it can introduce unexpected nondeterminacy.

Edward

At 11:48 AM 8/12/2004 -0700, Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
>I agree -- the immutability is a good thing in general, and your other
>email in this thread brings up some deep issues.
>
>No, we shouldn't take this lightly.
>
>An interesting problem (maybe for Yang too? hint, hint.... ;-) is what
>happens to immutable tokens in a distributed/Grid environment:
>There tokens might be just handles to remote files. So it's a good
>thing that the handle is immutable. However how can we make sure that
>the object being represented by the handle itself doesn't change?
>
> >From a conceptual/semantic point of you, the handle should be as good
>as the object, but then again there is probably no way to enforce
>this...

Edward A. Lee, Professor
518 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2739
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal