[kepler-dev] Re: zero-length arrays

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 12 04:53:45 PDT 2004

Prolog is not a concurrent language (at least, not
in the sense that separate threads of control share references
to the same objects)...

The immutability of tokens is essential to our concurrent MoCs...

The map higher-order function could, of course, be implemented more
efficiently because of the knowledge that intermediate results will
have only one thread referencing them...  But how should the software
infrastructure support this?  If ArrayToken has public methods that
modify the array, then users (e.g. Tobin) will happily use those
methods in actors, and break _all_ of our concurrency models.
We'll start to get questions about why the result of an execution
seems to depend on the phase of the moon...  :-)

Edward