[kepler-dev] string encodings

Tobin Fricke tobin at splorg.org
Mon Aug 9 15:37:11 PDT 2004

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Tobin Fricke wrote:

> This is somewhat suspicious (in FileReader.java) -- note the silent
> newline translation that makes FileReader break with binary files:

Indeed -- that was one of the problems.  The other was thinking that a
US-ASCII encoding would make a good "default" (I think the current scheme
is to assume "Unicode" on each end, and hope that the mapping is a
bijection).  (Do StringTokens need a flag to indicate that they're
carrying 'raw' data, or is that beyond their call of duty?)

A hack to avoid the FileReader problem is to replace FileReader with
Exec("cat"), which is 8-bit clean.

Just committed two demos that use StringToImage:  StringToImageDemo.xml
and GnuplotPngDemo.xml (the latter of which was the motivation to write
StringToImage; the former shows the exec(cat) trick.).

Tobin