[kepler-dev] string encodings

Tobin Fricke tobin at splorg.org
Mon Aug 9 15:06:03 PDT 2004

I think I might be experiencing a problem with StringTokens related to
string encodings.  Not sure yet, but *something* weird is happening.

I am using FileReader to read a binary file into a StringToken.  Then I
want to use String.getBytes to get the raw data from that file.  But Java
tries to be smart about character encodings, and so the String.getBytes()
method involves some character set conversion.  I suppose perhaps I should
be using a 1xN matrix of uint8, since I am not, in fact, using a
StringToken to represent a human-readable String?  It would be rather
unfortunately cumbersome if that were the case.

Tobin